Medicare Supplement Benefits

The benefits offered by all Medicare Supplement, or Medigap, policies have been standardized, which allows them to be easily compared between insurance companies. A total of 11 plans are available, which are identified as Medigap Plans A through N (except in MA, MN and WI). Although insurance companies can choose which plans to offer, every carrier is required to make Plan A available. The Medicare comparison chart below provides a checklist of each plan’s benefits for a side-by-side comparison. Remember, not all plans may be available in your state. All plans include these basic benefits:

  • Medicare Part A hospital coinsurance
  • Medicare Part A extended hospital coverage (365 days after Medicare benefits end)
  • Medicare Part A hospice outpatient prescription drug copayment and inpatient respite care coinsurance
  • Medicare Part B coinsurance*
  • Medicare Parts A and B first three pints of blood

Benefits

Basic Benefits: Hospitalization:
A | B | C | D | F | FH* | G | K | L | M | N**
Basic Benefits as all Others:
A | B | C | D | F | FH* | G | K (50%) | L (75%) | M | N**
Medicare Part A Deductible:
B | C | D | F | FH* | G | K (50%) | L (75%) | M (50%) | N**
Skilled Nursing Coinsurance:
C | D | F | FH* | G | K (50%) | L (75%) | M | N**
Medicare Part B Deductible:
B | F | FH*
Medicare Part B Excess Charge Benefits:
F | FH* | G
Foreign Travel Emergency:
B | C | D | F | FH* | G | M | N**
Out-of-Pocket Annual Limit:
K | L

This plan is ideal for people who are healthy and do not expect to use many health care services as it only has SOME additional coverage. This plan requires policy holders to pay Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B deductibles. It does NOT cover skilled nursing facility care, Medicare Part B excess charges or foreign travel emergency.
Medicare Supplement Plan B offers the same benefits as Plan A, but only requires policy holders to pay the Medicare Part B deductible. This plan does NOT cover skilled nursing facility care, Medicare Part B excess charges or foreign travel emergency.
Plan C’s coverage is limited to Medicare-approved charges. It covers basic benefits and most medical expenses with the exception of part B excess charges. Unfortunately it is not offered in many areas, but it is popular in the east coast.
Medicare Supplement Plan D is not considered a comprehensive supplemental insurance plan. It does NOT cover the Medicare Part B deductible or Medicare Part B excess charges. It is ideal for people who want additional coverage and don’t mind paying the Medicare Part B deductible and excess charges.
Plan F is the most comprehensive Medigap Plan on the market and is sometimes called the “Cadillac Plan.” Medicare is billed the 80% and Plan F picks up the remaining 20%. All you have to pay is your Plan F monthly premium and your Medicare Part B premium.
This plan is the same as Plan F after you pay the deductible of $2140. Medicare pays 80% and you pay the remaining 20% which counts toward your deductible. This plan has a significantly lower monthly premium than Plan F, but does not include a prescription drug plan.
Plan G is the second most comprehensive Medigap Plan on the market. It is just like Plan F, but it does NOT cover the Part B annual deductible of $147. It typically has a lower premium than Plan F and can sometimes save you money.
Instead of paying all your costs, Plan K pays a percentage. It only pays 50% of Medicare Part B copayment, blood (first 3 pints), Part A hospice care copayment, skilled nursing facility and Medicare Part A deductible. It covers 100% of Part A hospitalization copayment (365 days after Medicare benefits end). It does NOT cover Medicare Part B deductible and excess charges or foreign travel emergency.
Just like Plan K, Plan L pays a percentage. It has an affordable premium with a fair amount of coverage for many services. It pays 75% of Medicare Part B copayment, blood (first 3 pints), Part A hospice care copayment, skilled nursing facility and Medicare Part A deductible. It covers 100% of the Part A hospitalization copayment (365 days after Medicare benefits end). It does NOT cover Medicare Part B deductible and excess charges or foreign travel emergency.
Medicare Part M offers benefits not found in other plans. It covers 100% of Medicare Part A coinsurance, hospital costs (365 days after Medicare benefits end), Medicare Part B coinsurance, Blood (first 3 pints), Part A hospice care, skilled nursing facility care, foreign travel emergency and 50% of Medicare Part A deductible. However, it does NOT cover Medicare Part B deductible and excess charges.
Since there are additional costs associated with this plan, it is not highly recommended. However, it provides more coverage than Plans K and L with a lower premium than Plans A through G. It does NOT cover Medicare Part B deductible or Medicare Part B excess charges.
*This high deductible plan F (FH) pays the same or offers the same benefits as Plan F after you have paid a calendar year $2,140 deductible. Benefits from the high deductible Plan F will not begin until out-of-pocket expenses are $2,140. Out-of-pocket expenses for this deductible are expenses that would ordinarily be paid by the policy. This includes the Medicare deductibles for Part A and Part B, but does not include the plan’s separate foreign travel emergency deductible.
** Plan N requires up to a $20 copayment for an office visit and up to a $50 copayment for an emergency room visit.

Have Questions About Medicare?

Call us at 1-888-250-3820 to speak with one of our licensed sales agents.